Thursday, December 30, 2004

MTV: Smitha : "Inji Iduppu" : Remix

Switched channels to MTV while putting on my shoes today morning. I never switch to MTV after 6:45 AM (this is when classic MTV ends and stupid remix-hindi songs start playing). I have given up watching MTV since its "Indianization" (read as de-musification) in 1997-98.


The intention was to watch some skimpily clad chics while starting office. It kinda peps me up for the 45 minute ride you know :-). I usually keep the volume on mute when I switch to MTV or Channel V when the stupid remixes are playing.


Today, I was watching this dark sexy looking girl doing some hip-hop dance routine and I was thinking yet another Kumar Sanu kind of a stupid romance song remixed to look like a hip-hop video. Never understood why the two (hip-hop and old hindi songs) were considered linkable and never understood how these stupid remixes were liked by anybody. I watch the videos purely for the girls and nothing else. ( I think that is the main marketing strategy of the producers also)



I was fiddling around with my home theater system and it switched video mode (which is the TV) by mistake. Before I could mute it back, I heard a song which sounded familiar. I was thinking "wait a minute this is not a old hindi song remixed. This song sounds familiar". It took a while to get adjusted to the blaring techno beats before I could place the song.


It was "Inji Iduppu azhagi" from the Kamalhaasan movie Devar Magan composed by Ilayaraja. Not sure if IR had any rights on this song and if it was properly bought from him. But that is besides the point. The feeling was "yuck! Not Tamil Remixes!! oh! my God" . The Hindi remix boom had led to 200 stupid semi-naked girls calling themselves artists. Now we don't want Tamil in this (re)mix.


Some artists they are! All they do is copy somebody else's creation and appear semi-nude in a music video. Is this art? crap! I say!


The artist doing this song was called Smitha. Never heard of her. She confirmed to the remix video artist specifications; "well-built" & Good looking chic nodoubt! Custom built to have more skin than dress, specifically to compensate for the lack of originality in lyrics and composition.


I hope she is the last one. The only thing that was saving tamil music was the remix curse.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's disgusting! If you've noticed, a few old tamil songs have appeared as remixes in some movies too. As you said, its purely a marketing strategy.

Anonymous said...

[quote]
--The intention was to watch some skimpily clad chics while starting office. It kinda peps me up for the 45 minute ride you know :-).
-- I watch the videos purely for the girls and nothing else.
[unquote]
wtf. A person getting married in 2 months should refrain from making such comments.

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

"wtf. A person getting married in 2 months should refrain from making such comments."

So its OK to see "some skimpily clad chics " in the morning but not Ok to comment about them ? :-)

-Prabhu

Hawkeye said...

if i wasn't the kind who watched skimpily clad chicks .. then i wudn't be getting married :-)

just watch my blog site "after" the marriage you will be surprised :-)

Anonymous said...

Prabhu said...
So its OK to see "some skimpily clad chics " in the morning but not Ok to comment about them ? :-)

--
Stop defending your god.
-Anonymous

Hawkeye said...

he he... ashwin!

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of *good* Remixes myself. I think "Inji Iduppalaga" is a very good try. Similarly I would never even have cared to listen to "Dil kya kare" (Julie), "Noorie", "Chura Liya", or "Sehri Babu" (Loafer) if they were not remixed!

However I cannot deny that some remixes are 100% annoying, like "Dil lena khel hai dil dhaar ka"(R.D.Burnam), "Mehbooba", "Mere Kwabon mein jo aaye.."(DDLJ).. they suck!

There are good Tamil remixes too, like "Senthamizh thaenmozhiyaal" (Aadityan) - ditch the irritating voices.. the music is cool-, "Senthamizh naadennum podhinile"(Adityan, Jaya TV!!), "Vande Maathara" (A.R.Rahman)..

Rhythm lies in the ears of the beholder!!

~Archie

PS
I do not listen to remixes for any reason other than the music remix itself.. especially not the video!