Sunday, August 28, 2005

Got Caught Sleeping

In continuation with my previous post on my initial experience at "back to school life"...

I guess I am sort of revising the list of all my past faults so that I can warm up for the next 2 years. Or on the other hand, I'll prefer to view such things as "I'll do all the offenses now so that I wont have to do em' again later". I had been sitting up late on Wednesday and Thursday nights, getting the house in order, and getting up at ungodly hours to rush to school. So in my defense -- I had reason :-).

I knew I was feeling sleepy so I decided to sit in the first row and up my class participation a little bit - so that I don't fall asleep. What I didn't expect was a new teacher with a sleepy voice (he was a good one though). So it became really challenging to stay awake. I sort of remember my head dropping down a little , I remember fighting within myself to stay awake. The voices from outside were coming and going. Slowly the voices dimmed and then I dozed off....maybe for like 3 seconds. But that was enough.

Then I heard a voice speak to me and I suddenly came alive and found the teacher addressing me. In that micro-second I knew I was busted. But the same micro-second assimilation of information told me I was not busted that bad. He was talking about +ve and -ve feedback and which kind of feedback a person tends to notice more. So he called out my name (I noticed he was very near me) and said "if you get four kinds of feedback and 3 said you were good and 1 said you were bad, what would you notice". I sort of understood that not many had seen me sleeping and the instructor was the only dude to notice it. When he held the mike out to me to address the 430 strong class, I just blabbered out, "I'd notice the +ve feedback". To which he responded "is that what you would notice? Positive feed back". He said in a sort of way my Hindi teacher in 9th std SBOA School (Balasubramaniam was his name) said with the pompousness of a city school teacher addressing a village bumpkin, when I had told him that my previous school was Jayendra School from Palayamkottai, Thirunelveli. "From what School?... Jayendraaa Saraswathi" pretty much told me that he didn't think much of that school.

So I changed my answer and said " I was kidding its the negative feedback that I would notice". To which, the instructor said aloud to the class "its the negative feedback that people tend to notice more..." and moved on with his lecture. I thought nobody had seen me sleep. A couple of feelers I sent to my friends confirmed to me that the assumption was valid. Then one person caught up with me in the coffee break and said "I slept but didn't get caught! That's because I wasn't on the first row"

Darn it!

15 comments:

tilotamma said...

seriously did you say you will notice the +ve feedback?

Hawkeye said...

hey,

hey! i knew i screwed up. dont have to rub it in so much :-). i was asleep remember

plus i had heard 2 days of "optimism", "leadershp", "look at the bright side" "dont be cowed down by resistance and critisism" stuff...

anyway i had to pick the wrong one.. its like a habit.

Ram Prasadh said...

hey Bharath,
itz always dangerous 2 sit in the first row 'n listen.if u try 2 b too much attentive u slowly start 2 doze off.whn u yawn the professor fawns at you(wonder hez irked by the fact that he isn't able 2 do so.)anyway i surmise each day is very much interesting in ur life.

Ram Prasadh said...

hey Bharath,
itz always dangerous 2 sit in the first row 'n listen.if u try 2 b too much attentive u slowly start 2 doze off.whn u yawn the professor fawns at you(wonder hez irked by the fact that he isn't able 2 do so.)anyway i surmise each day is very much interesting in ur life.

tilotamma said...

No orientation /classes in Tulane where I went to school - I guess.
It is New Orleans, in Katrina's embrace right now!

Harish said...

hehehe!!! :D maatikitengala!

anantha said...

Bharath: Try chewing gum which is what i used to do. But B-School etiquette might frown on it.. So a tofee or a mint should help.
Btw, I have a story much more embarassing. I was busted by a couple of undergrads in my simulation class in Ohio, for not only sleeping, but snoring too. The prof noticed as well, but he did not react. I could hear ppl around me giggle when i was dozing (i am serious!) and thats what woke me up. God I was ribbed about it, not just by the desi crowd, but every single undergrad in my class!

Hawkeye said...

ramprasad,

i think i am getting a bad knack of getting myself into trouble.

Hawkeye said...

tilo,

i think the orientation is doing a world of good - drishti wise at least :-)

Hawkeye said...

harish,

ya! although this is nothing compared to your sms escapades ;-)

Hawkeye said...

anti,

LOL - that was hilarious. The worst I did as a TA was go to school with the "XL" label still stuck to the chest of my T-Shirt.

Anonymous said...

dei bharath,

this is something that i observed a lot of times in our isd and i guess this is the reason u go to isd frequently right ??
.so seems to me like ... nothing changed much in your life, except for the location.

enjoi.....

~sriki123

Hawkeye said...

sriki,

do you mean isd as ist == indian standard time?

Anonymous said...

ok
i ustand u forgot ur bad part of ur past.
dont want to help you really recollect it , but will give it a try..
information services .. in other words... library.

bye and keep writn.

Hawkeye said...

sriki123,

library is THE place to sleep. thats why we ask everybody to be silent