Saturday, February 11, 2006

Chicago

HOG Butcher for the World,
Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders
- Carl Sandburg



Somehow I love this place. I dont know why this place appeals to me so much. I had an afternoon free and instead of being cooped up in a Hotel Room, I decided to go outside and roam around downtown. Although, I was here for New Years eve, I only spent a few brief moments in Downtown, took a peek at Sears Tower for sometime (never visited Sears in my last 6 trips) and left. Never walked around. I always wanted to walk around downtown.

The "W Hotel" is located in W. Adams street bang in the middle of downtown. Once you walk out of it an try and make your way to Madison, you'll find that its an awesome walk. Only if you paused to look up. [Side Note: I saw "State Bank of India" Chicago branch and was totally thrilled ] . I have always been amazed by the skyscrapers. Made me wonder who the hell designed all these babies. There was one building, which sort of curved up like the alphabet 'C'. Except that the top-half straightened up instead of curving back out. Instead of hurrying past it like the way I used to in the past. I stood and gave it a good up-down look like the way Nagesh gives LIC building a look in 'anubavi raja anubavi'. On the whole it was interesting to watch other people sort of scuttle their way through the road, intersections and restaurants when you are just lounging around.

Had dinner in a place called "India Garden". They told me it was Indian food but I guess I'll need a second opinion on that. I seriously think they need to change names of Indian restaurants. I am sick and tired of *.Gardens, the Taj Palace, Bombay.xyz. Its completely boring. Just put in regular names like Muniyandi Vilas, Sher-E-Punjabi, Murugan Idli Shop. But thats like wishing for an apartment complex in the US, which does not have 'Wood', 'creek' or 'villa' in its name.

The Elevator inside 'W Hotel' had glass mirror on its doors. So when the door closes you can see your reflection. I was so unsure of my suit/tie that once the elevator started going down I began to adjust my tie, my collar and then went on to comb my hair and then adjust it for minor touches. The door suddenly opened, the mirror went away and 5 people stood outside gawking at my posture with two hands balancing my hair and face bent forward towards them. While they walked in stifling laughter, I walked out embarassed.

7 comments:

sri said...

"They told me it was Indian food but I guess I'll need a second opinion on that."...

donno about US though but felt the same way in budapest...although enjoyed it a bit adjusting ...to "some"thing indian...

ot of context...
...a doubt

watching the match today ... michael holding has described the animation sequence depicting the ball's trajectory on the pitch as hawkeye's view. did i hear it right ??? :-)

Hawkeye said...

Hawkeye view was a software developed to aid LBW decisions. It would extrapolate the ball trajectory from the point it hits the batters body to determine if it would hit the stumps. it was not used officially because it is said to have an error component.

i personally thought it was a good technology and the idiots who make the decisions did not see it as one. the tech was used in natwest series 2002.

one of bloggers who has commented here before worked on that technology :-)

xeonX said...

hey hawkeye neat post... tell me about embarrasing situations in the elevator...at least u werent caught pretending to be spiderman...i was...

sri said...

. thats an interesting learning for me.hawkeye , write more on cricket. !!

saw the australia sri lanka match
today.. donnno where australians are getting talented players. one such prospect for future is "mike hussey".. he made batting look very easy .... with an average ranging in 90's and almost similar strike rate.. :-) . australia were 3/10 and ended up hitting 368 in 50 overs. its awesome to see symonds and ponting hitting sri lankans all over. ..and michael clarke's 50 in 27 balls!!!! can india do the same in a similar situation like that with the present team while playing in AUSTRALIA ????

Hiren Shah said...

Good info you have given here.

D.N.A. said...

Next time in Chicago, try Hema's kitchen on Clarke street (skip the devon one). Better than India Garden.

Harish said...

LOL @ the last para!!