Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Hero

Rarely do people make me green with envy. But here is a person whose life makes me extremely jealous. Not just me, I am sure pretty much every man who walks around will gladly exchange spaces with this person. If you loved S.Ve.Sekhar's Sigamani character, because he never did work and took pride in living off his dad's money then imagine a real-life person who will make Sigamani take a back seat to him.
I have known a person since childhood - for 25 years. As a child, every time I asked my dad - "where does he work?" - I have gotten "hush" noises and been muffled. Later I learned that he had never worked in his life. His dad was not extremely rich but earned just enough for 1 more generation to sustain themselves. This person finished college, was arranged a bride by his parents and thats it. He has been sitting on his portigo for 25 years (Thinnai arrattai) and has been discussing cricket, politics and every other miscellanious issue on the planet. The great thing about him is - he has no guilt. He has a serious face and gives me an impression that he is really pressed for time. Imagine a life full of no-work. The only thing better than it is guilt free no-work - not many people would get such a wonderful life. Never at any point has he got an urge to get up and go to work. He has his mom and wife to give him coffee, tiffin etc.
I saw him a week before and he was seriously and angrily giving his opinions on the reservation issue to a passerby (and his auto driver). In the long timeline, I have seen him talk about Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, Jayalalitha, Stalin, Vazhapadi Ramamurthy, Sonia Gandhi etc.
I have requested him to give me a lecture on 'how to do it' . The dilemma is that if I have to pay him to do work, he has failed as a teacher, if I don't pay he has failed even badly. Which is why this art is more of a birth-given-gift and not learned from another person.

14 comments:

Zero said...

I have known a similar person, though he does have a day job currently. But he was never glued to one job and kept shifting (and simply qutting too). He dabbled in arts, but never got "serious" on that too. Not to mention that he isn't (chose not to be) an engineering graduate :).

Madura said...

I think he is a very "daring" person! In TamilNadu in his generation to live like that being a "man of the house" one should have tremendous guts. I think you are indeed indirectly showing a jealousy over his "identity unshaken by social expectations." Thats much harder to achieve than a 8-5 job that earns thousands of dollars right? And your mom never complained handing over a coffee to him, man you need to build a temple for her!
God, how much one could learn from a woman who doesnt force a man to meet the society's demand! I have never seen one!

I said...

Sigh. elathukum oru kudupanam venum.

Sowmya said...

I know someone like that too. When he turned 58, his relative, my aunt said "Velaikku pogaamaye retire aayittar"!

Deepa said...

an Indian Kramer,you mean?

Anonymous said...

Bharath,

Your posts have been truly humorous to read for the past 5-6 entries. I see a strong direct correlation between the humor content in your blog to your presence in chennai.

Probably, one of these days, somebody is going to compile blogs of bharath in madras and circulate it like ramesh mahadevan's writings.

About the man, One word - Wow.
Thats the life I dream about. As one of the commentators said over here, "elathukum oru kudupanam venum."

Anukris.

Hema said...

Hello Hawkeye,

Looks like you are having a wonderful time in chennai. I am surprised that you still have the time to write such wonderful blogs in the short time you have there. About the Man in the post, i certainly dont feel i would like a life like that; a short vacation off work and having nothing to do will probably have its charm but in the longer run i think it would kill me, criminal waste of ones existence not contributing to anything that they take from, be it the home they live or the society that they are a part off.....Shame on him that he doesnt feel any guilt for that....

Hawkeye said...

hema,

/* but in the longer run i think it would kill me, criminal waste of ones existence not contributing to anything that they take from, be it the home they live or the society that they are a part off.....*/

this is where lack of guilt helps.

Hawkeye said...

zero,

shifting jobs still amounts to work. so he is disqualified :-)

madura,

/* I think you are indeed indirectly showing a jealousy over his "identity unshaken by social expectations */

I am directly jealous that he is not forced to work to sustain himself

/*And your mom never complained */

just an academic correction it is *his mom* not mine.

i think his mom might've insisted that he put himself to good use. he chose otherwise. incrediable resistance to advise.

Hawkeye said...

I,

i have never stopped yelling at my dad. if he was a corrupt minister - i wud be one of those spoilt minister-kids by now. sigh...

Hawkeye said...

sowmya,

my man - porakarcheve VRS vaangittaar.

Hawkeye said...

deepa,

minus the kovarka

Hawkeye said...

anukris,

thanks! it is the mambazham effect. or the heat has made me slightly 'mental'

Yuvi Panda said...

I too have a "relative" who's such a man. His only work is to steal/threaten/take away jewels/money/cheques from his son/daughter/wife/wife's mom and spend them for god/knows/what...

He's no guilt, hadn't studied, and was married to his wife on the sole qualification of his fairer skin and "Jaathi"[sic].