Voters in TN just cannot complain about lack of information about political parties. The 2 main parties, each with its own TV channel, communicated every possible bit of (mis)information to the voters in the last 3 months. Somebody should do a world-wide research on this. Probably, never in the history of democratic society have elections been fought like this - on TV. Tamil Nadu has about a dozen TV channels catering to its state viewers. I am not even sure if Hindi, with a 4X more viewership than Tamil, has 12 channels.
6 channels campaigned for DMK and about 2-3 for ADMK. It is a foregone conclusion that National parties have limited relevance/scope in Tamil Nadu but TV increases the barriers to entry of those parties. Yes! having a TV channel is not just helpful but it has become indispensable barrier to entry if you want to contest elections in Tamil Nadu. If DMK distributes its free TV for every family then the way elections will be fought in the future in TN will be totally different from anywhere else in India (world). All the road campaigning, campaign tours, meetings etc will become meaningless. You have the TV to do it with special effects. In the future the impact of TV (with customized programmes for local people) could be much much higher than an election rally. The value chain of becoming a political party includes TV Channel -> TVs in voter base -> Cable TV provider -> Political Party.
Coming back to Jaya Vs Sun. These 2 channels have been fairly ruthless for the last decade. The mantra clealry is "don't say anything that could be even remotely construed as a compliment/good news for the opposition party". Even a plain fact like election results fall under this rule. In 1996 when Jayalalitha lost, Jaya TV stopped its election coverage in 5 minutes and started showing MGR films. In 2001 when DMK lost Sun TV stopped their election coverage within seconds. They did not even show a small news item announcing change of power. Now, for the first time, the elections were closely contested (as closely as it is possible in TN) and each channel took the aggresive route by showing huge numbers for the respective political parties. In what was very funny Jaya TV quickly scaled up ADMK seats to 90+ and refused to give DMK more than 30. Sun TV on the other hand was hovering at 160+ in no time and kept ADMK at 62. Even after it became evident that ADMK was going to lose, Jaya TV was unwilling to let go of its 'virtual' TV lead.
You laugh now. But it could be true in 5 years.
Okay now for the idiots in TV (Excuse the spellings).
1) Barkha Dutt: I swear in all my years of TV watching I have never seen a bigger idiot than her. You can search the entire world, sample every person who has ever lived and you will find that she is more stupid than some of the dead bodies you exhumed. Watching her and Pranob Roy in the same studio was like watching 'pal payasam' and 'vomit' together. I will fight to death anybody who puts anybody ahead of her in the idiot countdown. And there was this bearded freak called Srinivasan who was NDTV's Tamil Nadu correspondent. Man! his talk with ADMK MP - what a condescending interview?
2) Rajdeep Sardesai:: Needless to say, he is an insult to news covering community across the world. Let the other guy talk and make his point you moron! Dont push your own freakin' agenda.
3) Karan Thapar: He was nowhere to be seen, but I'll include him for the sake of his historical acheivements.
4) Ravi Bernard:: He should have quit the dumb i'll quote-election-seats-like-bargaining-for-cows-in-kanyakumari. It was a horrible sight to watch a decent host/interviewer stoop to such a low level and make an ass of himself.
5) Pranob Roy: For employing Barkha Dutt.