Monday, July 10, 2006

Its a panch! Its a beer belly! Its a fat woman! No its a baby!

A month ago, I met a lady at a marriage reception. I was talking to the lady and while we were talking many people came and congratulated her. Curious - I asked what the occasion was and she told me that she was pregnant. "I am 7 months pregnant. Can't you see?", she exlaimed in bewilderment. I looked up and down and said -- "no". People mocked my innocent pleas and said I should see an eye doctor. Ofcourse I am the kind of person couldn't distinguish a man from a woman (in just one instance).

But at least I was the third person in that instance. Now who would believe this? 'The Hindu' newspaper reports that a woman was unaware that she was pregnant until she actually delivered the baby.

Last Sunday, Fathima came to the Saraswathy Speciality Hospital in Madipakkam complaining of acute stomach pain. The attending doctor, K. Priyadarshini, suspected a pregnancy and ordered a scan. The scan confirmed that Fathima was indeed pregnant, but she still refused to believe it. "She believed it only after the child was born," Dr. Priyadarshini said.

Seriously! what were they thinking? Obviously somebody was vomitting and getting fat. Did they think it was a pot belly? Agreed, premature menopause could be an argument for not missing the monthly beast. But for heavens sake the woman was getting fat!

9 comments:

Sudipta Chatterjee said...

No, Hawkeye, probably there were more like you around her! :D

Good post...

Anonymous said...

Wow... this lady beats you hands down...

Anupadmaja said...

Wow... this lady beats you hands down...

You mean stomach out :)

Deepa said...

yeah right! The baby kicks her, moves around, she has labor pains etc and she would still believe it only after seeing something live and kicking. Junta avlo loosa?

sowmya said...

I have heard real incidents were a woman knew she was pregnant only when she delivered, while sitting on the pot! indhu unmai!

Anonymous said...

feminish ponch!!! hahaha..

Ruchika said...

haha, it bewilders me how dumb some people can be

Rajaram S said...

there is a "height of" joke which goes on similar lines:
What is the height of innocence?
A pregnant woman applying iodex on her belly!

Deepa said...

BTW, avlo perusa irundha adhu paunch illa pachaas.