Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Saranga

All this talk about Sarangapani Sannidhi Street, where Ramanujan worked his math, made me think of Ramanujan when I visited Sarangapani temple this time. I was in the middle of reading the book, when I visited Mr. Amudhan (name of central Deity of the temple) this time. This is a really huge temple and it was a genuine challenge to try and capture the really mammoth gopuram in the camera. Some time you wonder, how those people had the imagination to build such large temples. The interesting thing is; if you go inside the temple, the main 'sannidhi' of Saranga is constructed in such a way as if it rests on a Chariot. There are wheels made of stone that are built in the sides of the walls, which make it look as if the whole structure could be mobile if it wanted to. In my estimate this (roughly about 1.5 times that of Thirupathi) would be easily among the top 3 biggest temples in Kumbakonam, if not the biggest. It was certainly beautiful. Click on the picture to really get a perspective of the size of the gopuram and the "miniature" carvings in it.




8 comments:

Dushy said...

piExcellent Posts Dude.
If I am not wrong:
Mr.Aaravamudhan=Mr.Abadyakaamruthan

And those two pics were good.Moreover Sarangapani koil may be one of largest Vaishnavite temples.
Lengthwise the temple is huge while the breadth goes to "Yezhai Someshwaran" temple.
Btw, I have been one of ur blog fans for a very time,about a year and a half may be.U blog well .

Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Zat is HUUGEE!!

Renie said...

Hi, please add your blog to our new directory of Indian Blogs, thanks!

http://www.indiblogger.in

I said...

innaba microsoft le velaiki sendhutaya

Anonymous said...

"Some time you wonder, how those people had the imagination to build such large temples."

More the sins, richer the kings... the taller the temple gopurams. The kings believed that they would reach the heavens by building tall gopurams.

Hawkeye said...

dushy,

thanks dude! sarangapani is big but may not be the largest. Will be in the top 10.

Sudipta,

it is, isn't it :-)

renie,

done


I,

hmmmmm


anon,

i think there mustve been some, who did it out of bhakthi.

Anonymous said...

Hi- I'm from kumbakonam. This is the biggest temple in Kumbakonam and (I think) the second biggest in TN next only to srirangam... Did you go to chakrapani temple in kumbakonam? That one's actually more popular than this! [and supposed to have more "power" than sarangapani (sic)] I don't know why.
-viji

Anonymous said...

btw- I read your blog often. Commented for the first time. You have a great blog and I like it a lot! :)
-viji