Saturday, December 29, 2007

New Year Resolution

Dear Thamizh people!
Stop referring to women as 'da'. Please stop it right now. I am going to break a promise I made a long time before in this blog. I promised that I will never do the sin of broaching this subject. But I reserve the right to change my mind. So, Dear Thamizhs! The woman who is being called 'da' could be your wife, daughter, lover, woman-you-are-trying-to-flirt-with. You, the 'da' caller could be man/woman/teenager/grown-up/sexually-frustrated-old-man. Whoever you are, please stop this despicable habit. When you hear people demeaning'ly call someone as 'lacking class' 'pattikaatu kammanati' 'country brutes' 'cheri dogs' 'vaazhisal', 'disgusting person', 'komiyam', 'horse dung', 'antakshari player' - they are referring to people who call women 'da'. I know you want to express love to the woman in question and show to the public that you indeed love her. Let me represent the public's point of view and tell you something - watching you shit in your living room could potentially be a better sight than watching you call a girl 'da'. If you are desperately dying to express love, use 'maane'(deer) 'theene'(honey) 'ponmaane'(golden deer). I can tolerate that. Not 'da'.
There used to be a gang of boys in college/school whose primary purpose is to mock/'ottify' and generally rape the crap out of gooey/vazhisal classmates. They do it in public so that these gooey guys/girls will never forget it for their lives. As people grow up, the gang who disciplines the gooey guys/girls have disappeared and the gooey folks grew up to be people who call women 'da'. The maahaaaaa 'thondu'/service the gang mockers did for the society has been largely unrecognized. When I become CM of TN I will see to it that such people get at least a PadmaShri.
P.S: The nasty kind of Thamizh people who have the habit of making 'New Years Resolution' are typically the detestable kind of people who also call women 'da'. Hence the title. They can kindly factor this into their New Year Resolution.

12 comments:

Deepak Chembath said...

ok 'da'. Nice one :)

I said...

All this because 'Di' has become "offensive", thought I don't see how.

Anonymous said...

so, u r one of those who goes around doing all these moral policing huh...

I will organize another party just to prevent you from becoming the CM so that the da culture continues..

-kavitha

Prabhu said...

Kavitha, sorry da ;)

Karthik Sriram said...

Hawkeye,

The 'otra' gang is still alive and kicking - I was a part of it in my UG days...... anyways this "da" is one irritating thing, almost on the lines of girls/women who keep using "ya" in their lingo.....

kadavule.

LKS

maxdavinci said...

point taken sir!

Zero said...

Ah, antakshari players! It's heartening to know that every generation of clueless Tamil male species has faced this crisis. (Yes, you do belong to a different generation; old enough to be called an 'uncle.') Antakshari players, those two words seal it, sir. We all get what exactly you mean.

Karthik Sriram said...

@ Zero,

:D

Bala (Karthik) said...

Salute, Sire!
:)

Jillu Madrasi said...

unakku enna acchu?

Sarang said...

Interesting! I have never been a part of life in tamiZh nAdu and I never realized this fact. I completely agree!

Raghuveeran said...

Oh avana ni....

Why do you desperately peep into the conversation of others and makeover the most obnoxious analysis of your lifetime...

hey DA come and sit over here... beats maane inge vandhu amaravum... in 1000:1 ratio...

BTW do you happen to address your lady as maane, thenee, amuthe, ponmaane... if yes pity your lady...

Do you know why you are not the CM of TN...? It is the same reason that you have mentioned in your post...

Addressing someone as DA is not dignity but it is the lack of opportunity...

I think the lack of opportunity made you write this insane post...
Stop using ponvandu oops! pon-maane stuffs... you'll get at least one opportunity for sure...