Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Death By Chocolate

We are all slaves to the Dark Master in one way or the other. In all my years of eating chocolate I would like to pay tribute to 2 chocolate based products that have blown the freaking daylight out of my taste buds. Today, I was in some training class and as it happens when somebody keeps droning on for hours together, I dozed off and actually dreamt about one of these products.
Death By Chocolate: I am trying to remember this place in Pune that sells this product. This place is right opposite to that restaurant in Camp (my god! somebody help me remember the name). This place also sells calzones. It is run by a Parsi lady who yells at customers the way my Math teacher yelled at her students in 6th standard. If she could, she would probably take a ruler and bruise our knuckles. The shop's claim to fame is this amazing cake like thing called 'Death By Chocolate'. This alone is worth the price of a train ticket to Pune.This cake cannot be described easily. the best I can do is say that it a cross between a fudge, brownie and pure chocolate. Its a fat dynamite. The first time I ate it the chocolate just slithered into every single taste bud available. It is just a taste explosion. Those cartoon like crackers keep bursting around your head hours after you have eaten DBC. If you eat more than one of those brown dynamites there is a good chance that your body might not be able to handle it. This is so powerful that people could die before they leave the shop - probably the reason why the 'cake' got its name.
Molten Lava Cake: The restaurant chain called 'Chillies' sell this chocolate based cake. Ladies and Gentlemen just bow to this wonderful piece of innovation. This is a complicated food item. I promise you that every layer of complication adds to the taste. There is a chocolate brownie like cake at the bottom and a spherical thingie sitting on top of it. The spherical thing has a hard chocolate exterior and contains vanilla ice cream inside. Hot chocolate is generously poured on top of this structure. This is the molten lava that the name alludes to. As you poke this structure with a fork the spherical thing eventually breaks and the vanilla pours out of it. I am not glad, I got out of the Lava cake addiction. I still see some withdrawal symptoms. But driving with a group of 10 people for 40 miles searching for chillies at midnight in Michigan was pure bliss.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last 3 postings about food.. home sick, wife not in town or you out of town??

icontact said...

dunno abt Pune, I am addicted to dbc in corner house, bangalore.

Satyajit said...

was the place called "Just Baked"?its in pune and had the richest DBC i ever had though u had to constantly look over ur shoulder for the baby faced assassin parsi aunty's next move

Anonymous said...

You mean the place opposite Marz-o-Rin? I think it is called Just Baked.

Anonymous said...

Bharath,
I would hv liked to send you a personal mail but couldnt locate ur ID. I bumped into ur blog thru gaurav sabnis' post a couple of mths back n hvnt looked back after tht. I hv become so hooked to your writings and hv started reading the archives with humongous greed. I thoroughly love the humor quotient man. Your posts on blouse pieces, nightie totally cracked me up. Thanks so much for blogging. Keep up the good work. If you are in Blore in the future, I would like to buy you a drink.

-MDH

Karthik Sriram said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karthik Sriram said...

In FL, Chili's calls it Molten Chocolate Cake, but its typically what you described.

Also, if you are game, try the Chocolate Devotion in Coldstone Creamery. Its one of those highly addictive things. But the amount of fat calories of one serving would take 40 mins of 6.5 mph on the treadmill :(

As some mahaan said, everything good in life is either illegal, immoral, fattening or married to someone else.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jij0ab&s=3

nithin said...

It is Just Baked. Its opposite Madhuban (the south Indian Restaurant) on DP road.

hamsini said...

oooh, i forgot you used to live in pune! i need all the pune-gyaan you can give me! going to be studying there for the next two years:)

jingili said...

Thanks for visiting my site, I hope you have a great day in Meerut

Yov,ena ya edu...nanga singara chennai la erukom..ur blog greets me like this

Anonymous said...

vosi la drink lam sapdra alavuku valanthuta pa ni...engayo poita

Arun Sundar said...

"But driving with a group of 10 people for 40 miles searching for chillies at midnight in Michigan was pure bliss"

I reckon this is past. These days, with google maps and windows live, one wouldn't drive searching chillies for 40 miles.

Hawkeye said...

anon,

no just withdrawal symptoms

icontact,

oh! i didnt know dbc was available in all my years in bengaluru.

satyajit,

exactly. nidhin below got the coordinates correct.

anon and nidhin,

yes you guys are correct. its called just baked right opp to madhuban

LKS,

ive had chocolate devotion. that is very good too. itt is called molten chocolate cake in seattle too.

jingli,

:-). thats an old tracker thing. i dont use it anymore must remove that.

anon,

"vosi" drink? enga?

'pa'?

arun,

you must list down your assumptions here.

Hawkeye said...

hamsini,

dunno a lot about pune. but i suspect you are going to be around SB road a lot.

Anonymous said...

"Death by chocolate" is avaible in some place in besant nagar ..

Anonymous said...

Death By Chocolate is sold in Barista.