Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Spielberg To Direct Tintin Movie

Peter Jackson and Spielberg will direct one movie each in the Tintin Trilogy. Teenage actor Thomas Sangster plays Tintin and Andy Serkis (Gollum/King Kong) plays Haddock.
A few days ago, I had gone to this boring place called Atlanta to participate in a conference, where people from offices all over the world attended. The seating arrangement led to me getting seated next to a Belgian guy at dinner. I don't, well I never discuss Tintin with anybody. There is a fear that all the years of Tintin obsession might channel into that conversation and I'd appear maudlin. However, this fellow was the first Belgian I ever met. The prospect of a Tintin conversation loomed large. I'd be investigated for a criminal misconduct if I didn't bring up the subject. Not surprisingly, he happened to be a huge Tintin fan. He was completely surprised Indians knew Tintin. The next half-hour we discussed Tintin like the way two teenagers would discuss Britney. The rest of the people in the dinner table had no clue about Tintin. 30 minutes well spent.

8 comments:

Maha said...

yea.. only the europeans and indians here seem to know anything about tintin. very recently i saw tintin books on sale in a bookstore here in new haven. i have never seen them anywhere else.
wonder how long it would be for that store to get amar chitra katha!
-m

anantha said...

Old news boss :)

Spielberg is a big Tintin fan. He was involved in a off again on again negotiation with the Herge foundation to make a Tintin movie, for the past twenty years or so. Most famously, he chose the setting (the cave where they find the "Holy Grail") for the climax of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade based on a single panel from a Tintin comic. :)

Arvind said...

I'd prefer a well-made anime movie over a live action TinTin movie!

Maha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maha said...

Arvind! you mean like this?

Anonymous said...

da paar nee atlanta-va suma, sume bore'nu sonna I don't like...

T.

maduraiveeran said...

I think I've heard this news long back. I am a Tin Tin fan too and Had brought with me a few VCDs when I came from India. But you don't see Tin Tin at all here. Kids watch Spongebob!!! It makes me laugh to even look at that character.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of this time I met this Japanese girl who was my... wife's best friend's roommate (phew). she was a chatterbox, and a Belgio-phile, because her boyfriend was from there. We were walking around Manhattan shopping and she kept saying she was looking for tshirts, mugs or anything with "thaan-thaan" on them. The rest of us had no clue what she was saying. For an hour she kept going on about thaan-thaan this and thaan-thaan that. I had sort of zoned her out because she seemed annoying.

A couple of hours later she got excited, ran to a store window and yelled "THAAN-THAAN!", and I saw it was a Tintin t-shirt. Was thrilled to find another Tintin fan.

She was of course pronouncing Tintin the way it is supposed to be pronounced in France/Belgium. Suddenly she seemed a lot less annoying and we spent a lot of time talking about Titin with my wife and her friend (both of whom grew up in the US) staring at us dumbly.