Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Movie Round-up: 2008
2008 has been a poor year for Thamizh movies. Here is the best and worst of them. Disclaimer: I haven't seen Poo, Bommalattam and Abhiyum Naanum.
Best Movies of 2008:
8. Jayam Kondan: This movie kept everything simple from story to presentation. It was entertaining and did not indulge in too much of nonsense.
7. Poi Solla Porom: If this is a faithful remake of Khosla ka Ghosla then I wouldnt have been super impressed with that too. So-so movie.
6. Velli Thirai: Interestingly presented story on an aspiring film maker's frustration, IP theft and other bad-luck oriented things. The hero's reaction to his fate is sometimes too idealistic and timid. Overall an interesting watch.
5. Saroja: Fraud movie. Copied. But at least well presented. Venkat Prabhu, I suspect, is due to come up with new tricks. This one tells us his well is dry.
4. Vaaranam Aayiram: There were disappointing aspects to this movie. Some needless elements. But I thought it had good spirit, ambition and the overall entertainment value was very good.
3. Saadhu Mirandaal: This was a very interesting movie. It could have been a really good movie but for some reason it settles for much less. Comedy + revenge-suspense-thriller genre.
2. Anjathey: This movie is the kitchen sink of 2008. It had every genre baked into it. There were some moments in the movie that was totally impressive and a few moments which made you wonder if should be doing something else instead of watching this movie.
1. Subramanyapuram: An unpretentious movie that appears honest until the end. Without ever losing its entertainment value. It consistently gives a "this could have really happened" feeling. I loved it.
5. Aayudham Seivom: Its in this list because the DVD somehow found its way to my living room. I can't believe C. Sundar is actually a hero. "C" center folks deserve to be made fun of for encouraging him. Yaara koluthanumnu theriyalai. I stopped watching the movie after a point.
4. Indralogathil Azhagappan: "Adi pidichu pona" story and Vadivelu.
3. Dasavatharam: Pretentious Kamal trash. A man with a large ego ate a sumptuous meal. Farted. Then caught the fart in a plastic bag, buried it in a septic tank with 4 eggs and dirty shoe. Took it out after 10 years and sprayed the contents on the public. Apparently a few drops of 'sandhanam' was mixed in that spray. He called the few people, who noticed it, as thamizh people. The rest, he called them "medhaavis".
2. Bheema: Gay trash.
1. Kuselan: Rajini trash for idiot fan boys.