Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nagesh

One of the greatest actors one can ever get to see. So great that at one point, K. Balachander apparently mentioned to Kamal Haasan during a shoot that - "had this scene been done by Nagesh instead of you - picchu udhariruppan". Most of my memories of thamizh cinema - from Kathalikka Nermillai to MMKR - revolve around him. Among the rather less-mentioned movies of Nagesh, one certainly has to mentioned Soap Seepu Kannadi & Anubhavi Raja Anubhavi. They were the kind of movies that brought cheer to even the darkest of moods.
Probably no other actor-director combination has worked as well as Nagesh-Balachander combination. And K.B has done many movies with Kamal haasan. His numerous movies with MGR. His immortal line - "maadhu vandirukken". Everything about the song "muthu kulikka vaariyhalaa". His questions in Thiruvilayaadal. His quick comical cracks even when he played a villain in Aboorva Sagodharargal. His lines in MMKR - 'kaameshwara, kaameshwara - ippadiyum iruppiyo". An extremely versatile actor. One can go on and on about his movies for years. Let me stop here.
One of the saddest stories I've heard about Nagesh is about him and his mother. Apparently, he ran away from home as a boy, vowing never to return unless he made it big in life. After establishing himself in the movie industry - he drove to his hometown in his own car with some cash as gift for his mother. Only to reach there and find his family doing the last rites for his mother.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend was one of those who were assisting the actors and actresses in IFFA which was held in Malaysia. It seems Nagesh had asked one of the assistant if he can get a Malaysian girl for a night.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the previous comment. Just now I came to know that he has passed away. I commented thinking it to be a normal post by Hawkeye.

May his soul rest in peace.

Sriram said...

man, this is really sad. one of the great actors of tamil cinema. may his soul rest in peace!

curdriceaurora said...

Last night, just before knocking my roommates door, the line Maadhu Vandhurken ran in my head. Today I read this.

Suchitra said...

I remember watching one of KB's lesser known movies called 'Punnagai' with almost reverential awe some years back. Nagesh-the-comedian was a by product of Nagesh-the-actor. I believe that as long as his movies last, he does not die.

PS: @Anonymous comment #1 and 2; I suppose writing an 'normal post' about a famous personality is reason enough to spread a 'juicy' story about them. And oh, retract it with a 'sorry' if they happen to be dead. RIP.

Karthik B.S. said...

so sad, so sad.

Karthik B.S. said...

@ Suchitra

Laughing out loud.

Anonymous said...

Suchitra,

The fact that he asked for a girl is true. I apologized because I found it not nice to mention it in an obituary post.

Anonymous said...

Suchitra,

Me and my friends have witnessed Indian celebrities openly doing some things in Malaysia which they can't in India due to paparazzi and public. I've personally seen Simbhu and Aishwarya getting into a room in a hotel in which I worked. There's is no need for me to create a 'juicy story' on these celebrities, especially on Nagesh...c'mon.

Gradwolf said...

Ok, innum orru varam time kudakaren!

"gudhichu practice pannava? Orru varsham kudutha kuda ennala mudiyadhu sir"!

Brilliant role, that one. I've seen only his famous b/w movies namely edhir neechal, server sundaram. I think he was also great in Poova Thalaya. Among the Kamal-Nagesh non-comedy movies, Nammavr comes to my mind.

RIP Nagesh.

@anon: IIFA and Nagesh the Tamil actor can never occur in the same sentence, I think.

Anonymous said...

Gradwolf,

It's ITFA.

http://umaipadam.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_archive.html

nivi said...

A true legend. Kadhalikka Neramillai is a timeless classic! What a performance!

Thenmazhai is one of my all time favorites of Nagesh. Cho and him are unbelievably funny.

Such people never die. They live forever in memories. I guess thats their biggest achievement

Angel's Flight said...

May his soul rest in peace.....a great actor!

Barani said...

It such anIrony that geniuses like Nagesh and Chandra Babu who filled out our hearts with laughter couldn’t lead very happy and peaceful lives off the screen.
May his soul rest in peace.

v said...

Anony, you're sure Nagesh was'nt joking? How old was he when that happened? 80? 84?

and which Aishwarya are you talking about?

Anonymous said...

v,

I asked the same question to my friend and he assured me that Nagesh was serious. I'm not sure how hold was he back then but my friends too made fun of his age and his desire.

Aishwarya Dhanush.

Meena said...

He came to our house once with a friend. He was a far cry from what we see on screen and was ill and depressed.
Definitely one of the greatest actors ever - he protrayed intelligence and not always the dumb comedian. A lot of ppl had copied his comedy and style in other language movies.

Blogeswaran said...

Bharat,

Nijamaana lighting strike aanadhu indha post la dhaan.

Post/news - is like a lightning.

Comments - adhavida periaya lightning-a illa irukku.

Hawkeye said...

what does a person's sexual activity have anything to do with his acting ability?

Anonymous said...

Hawkeye,

No one said there's a correlation between his acting and sexual activity.

sreekrishnanv said...

Panchathanthiram? Memorable Iyengar role ! Subtle yet conveying