Friday, June 05, 2009

Kiriket

Since I had my most eventful day in the last 1 year of cricket in Seattle, I decided that I should write about it. Also because - sadly - if I don't no one else will. Really had to blog this 'bayangara' extraordinary change in fortunes over a short period of time w.r.t my cricket life last weekend. Unexpectedly, I opened the bowling for my team. However, getting to know this after the toss and seconds before we walked into the field kinda messed up my mind. Usually I bowl first change. So when the captain looks at me and does his shoulder wiggle thingie (that somehow has come to mean "warm up you are in next") I begin to visualize where I'll pitch the ball and "pre-determinedly" mug-adichufy what to do when I get to my run-up. This way when while bowling I am not really thinking but simply executing. Keeps everything clean.

This time, I nervously said "right arm over" to the umpire, went to the top of my run up with a shining new red "cherry" and then ....was momentarily confused. There was a leftie on strike. Its not as if this was the first time I'd be bowling to a lottai but somehow not knowing it beforehand made me pause because (a) am confused (b) was already nervous about opening the bowling. After some thought call to the umpire and said "around" knowing fully well that I hadn't bowled around in the last year or so. Then went on to bowl 7 consecutive wides. Sometimes you never know WTF happens to you when you lose confidence mid-runup. Especially if you are used to the habit of deciding where to *try* and pitch the ball before runup and then execute it. Poor confidence meant that I was confused about where to pitch it until delivery. While bowling my 7th wide I was actually thinking "I have no idea where this is going to land" at delivery stride. So gave away 12 runs for the first over. I was prepared to not be asked to bowl again and went and stood sulking @ gully.

That was until I caught a total blinder next over. Batsman slashes at a wide ball and it screams to gully. I jump and grab it one handed. If I was given 5 more seconds to think about it I would have dropped it but strangely not been given enough time, in this instance, worked to my favor. That momentary 'undo' on my pathetic bowling performance gave me another over. Then I went on to bowl 5 overs, 4 maidens and squeezed out a wicket. 6-4-13-1 looked awesome now. Was removed from attack and brought back for the 38th and 40th over. The Pahisthaani left hander was still around batting at 110 or so. I gave 2 sixers in the 7th over and 2 more sixers plus a four in the last over. And was brought back to earth. 8-4-41-2 wasn't going to retain my opening bowling spot. Strangely there used to be a time when playing against pagisthan type teams pumped me up but that day I just dropped my pants and bent over.

Chasing 237 in 40 overs isnt easy. During lunch captain looks at me and says 1-drop. I get all excited. Last year, I got into the team as an opener peethifying that I was Sachin Tendulkar of Palayamkottai but ended up being demoted due to poor performances. After scraping around the bottom of the batting order all last year, I finally got opportunity-part deux. I go in at 20/1. I again mentally prepare to dokku-vechufy for 2-3 overs before even thinking of scoring. Third ball I face, the bowler drops it short, I go back and pull over mid-wicket for 4. Bayangara sandosham and confidence happens and resulting adrenalin makes me give the '36 mottaigalin attagasangal' kind of batting performance. 40 scored of 43 balls: 7 boundaries. Finally got out when team was 101/2. Checked my shot in the last minute while going after a off-side full toss and dragged the ball back to the stumps. We ended up losing by 50 runs. But on the bright side "hope are there mama" that I will be batting higher up the order next game.

Orrey the looking forward to this season.

14 comments:

Raji said...

ha ha...Good luck for the next game :)

Anonymous said...

dei nayee

You just had a baby. WTF are you doing playing cricket.

romba too much.

Ram said...

Was this a real game or a dream?

Anupadmaja said...

Congrats and good luck for the season brother.

Nithin ... oh my god, it is indeed him ... Sachin!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a U19 kid from your area got selected for the US U19 team .. I saw him at the U19 finals in NY .. he was good .. any chance you play for the same team?

-sr

maxdavinci said...

ok wait is this a ghost post?

Coz I dont see any slander or mud being thrown on anyone!

Anonymous said...

//Then went on to bowl 7 consecutive wides. //

You should stop bowling.. thats not good enough in any form of the game... :-)

I said...

Paki pasangaloda seradha, gundu vechiduvanga.

The Talkative Man said...

Is your captain shane warne? was he texting between deliveries? :)

Anonymous said...

Are you serious? I thought you are some 'Vayasayiduthu Vegeterian' kind of uncle. I never thought you would be in a shape to play cricket, but after reading this post about your heroics as opening bowler naan "appadiye shaaack ayiteeenn"

Anonymous said...

//I never thought you would be in a shape to play cricket//

you dont need to be in shape to play cricket really.. see ramesh powar

//but after reading this post about your heroics as opening bowler naan "appadiye shaaack ayiteeenn//

And after bowling 7 wides there is nothing to get shocked...

Anonymous said...

Dei fellow anonymous 'gokkamakka', if you are not in shape, you cannot bowl first over. Little Rhino (Powar) madiri urundu urundu thaan vara mudiyum.

Unaku shocka illaina vachuko, naan shock agakoodathunu solraduku nee yaru da en soopu.

blackaccord said...

"Then went on to bowl 7 consecutive wides. "

Been there.. done that..:)

Vivek said...

The catch u took at gully , reminds me the scene in chennai 600028 were premji takes a bliner onehanded at short mid wicket and finally it turns out to be a NO ball..haha..:D

"36 mottaigalin attagasangal"..ROFL.. i fell over reading this..i still have the audio casette of that with no player to play it..lol..