Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Confession

I am not a Harry Potter fan. I have labored through and seen all the movies they released.

Underwhelming.

I don't think I have lost the child in me. I won't criticise the concept. It is probably not for all. Its simply that this piece of fiction did not capture my imagination. In my defense I'll say that I tried hard to like it. But I was constantly left wondering what people really saw in this series. Initially, I thought I didn't like it because this got released in parallel with LOTR and so this looked so-so in comparison. But now I think the series has become genuinely boring for me. The books are unreadable too.

10 comments:

Gradwolf said...

Well, one reason is that J.K. Rowling's writing is unbelievably awesome!

I said...

Kareet ba. Vittalacharyar padam and Vikramadhithyan book.

R-ambam said...

I thought its becoz I saw the movie before I got to read the book, indolently lost the interest in both :( Miss the fun, though.

Sreekrishnan said...

i agree ... i tried reading the book and it didnt fascinate me a bit ... half way with the book. Movie Kaekavey vendam !

Rahul said...

Hi
Am a first time visitor to your blog, visited it randomly through labanol. Quite liked it.
About Harry Potter, I wonder if you have read Phantom and Mandrake and Flash Gordon comics, which were hugely successful in their time because of one main reason - they successfully managed to create an alternative, mystical world in the mental landscape of its young fans.
Its the same with Potter series, I think. I have read all the Potter books, watched all the movies and have liked them immensely.
LOTR I could not tolerate beyond some pages.
Well, to each his own.

maxdavinci said...

korect saar, can't read the books but catch the movies jsut so that I'm not lost in convo with frnds.

super hype, but then she makes super money...

all bunch of sheep!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely correct. It is maddening to see the screaming adults encouraging these books and movies.

Waste of energy.
Vetrimagal.

Kokki Kumarru said...

Exactly!!

Anonymous said...

I don't like 'em either. Different strokes for different folks. Why the whole "Do people like it because it is fashionable to like this?" thing? Some might say desi wannabes who idolize Michael Jackson, as opposed to REAL musicians like Quincy Jones, like him only because it is fashionable.

Hawkeye said...

quincy jones?? pink floyd is acceptable. but quincy jones?

there is a possibility that I could like MJ because it was fashionable to like him. why do you think i am excluded from my criticism?