Friday, February 26, 2010

Movie Reviews

Naanayam: This was not a bad movie at all. Adapted plot-for-plot from James Hadley Chase's book "My Laugh Comes Last" it captures most of the elements of the genre. I always wanted someone to make Chase books into movies. He was my favorite author during school days and has written books that have fantastic plots in them. Prasanna and Sibiraj perform adequately. There is less scope for Sibiraj in this movie to show his Sathyaraj genes. Did not appreciate that this song was copied from my favorite song.

Goa: Chennai-28 had a good mix of a great story and lots of 'kalaai'. The 'kalaai' was icing on the cake that made you go 'wow'. But the story was everything. Goa is just 'kalaai' and no story. Agreed that some of the nakkal was totally awesome. However, after a while the movie is unable to ride on just the 'nakkal' part. In fact I'd say that Venkat Prabhu wasted too much 'nakkal' on this movie and could have spared it for some other movie.

Thamizh Padam: I was super impressed with this movie. As a spoof it is easy to be superficial and stop with the obvious. But like Hot Shots, this is not only a clever movie but very wicked. I laughed out so loud during several scenes. Its a tragedy that this was released the same time as Goa because they carry similar themes. It is also a tragedy that the two movies were not combined and made into one better product. Some of subtlety in Thamizh Padam is waay too cool. I never thought I'd see this sort of nakkal in thamizh movies. Certainly recommend this one.

Kutty: Reject.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy that Tamizh Padam is a hit. However, it's quite sad that in today's industry, a director cannot openly express that he is indeed making fun of the stars.
http://movies.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/feb/24/slide-show-1-south-interview-with-cs-amudhan.htm#contentTop

AT said...

I can't believe I just wasted my time watching " kutty ", but thamizh padam is awesome ....

MaySan said...

Agree abt Naanayam, thought it must have been some remake. I havent read many of James Hardley Chase books, but the couple of them I read, I really like :-)

Tamizh Padam was just too good.

Goa, lost interest mid way, didnt see the rest. Kutty is gult remake...so u know what to expect :P

VTV epdi?

Weekend naala, blog ku comments kammi ya irukka?

Anonymous said...

Hawkeye, Did you watch Vinnai Thandi Varuvaiya? It's a very soft romance. very natural. Has traces of Vaaranam Aayiram, though. It's a good watch

nm said...

b, check out the movie "The Bank Job". Naanayam is almost the same movie.

Alan Smithee said...

What is wrong with Kutty? Or, what is wrong with you people?