Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Social Network

The pace at which David Fincher tells us The Social Network story is the defining aspect of the movie. Before going into the movie, I was wondering how he'd keep a story of creating Facebook interesting. Biopics can quickly slip into the documentary genre. Not that that it is a bad thing but its hard to set the adrenalin flowing with such a story. Zodiac was close to 3 hours long and Fincher did an incredible job of meticulously presenting a very complex story. Social network is only 2 hours long and it feels like 1 hour.

I can't put my finger on why Fincher's movies are so different. They set a very different narrative pace and style. The combination gives his movies a sort of coolness that can only be created deliberately with careful construction. People say its his 'Frame insert' technique where he inserts a lot of single frames in a narrative sequence. I am not sure if that is the sole reason. But he gets the adrenalin flowing on a movie about a computer programmer. That's not easy. I am not a geek and don't think I can be one. By I appreciated the cool references to 'Emacs' (best editor ever) and page table bit arrangement. The dialogs are uncompromising, detailed, funny and fast. I couldn't believe such a combination could exist. I am not sure if the real Mark Zuckenberg was this awesome. Or how much of all this tracks the real story closely. But I loved Zuckenberg's character. Fantastic movie and a must watch.

5 comments:

I said...

idhu sonnaye rightu. Semma padam.

Kokki Kumarru said...

i have been getting good reviews from everywhere. I m waiting for it to get released in madras.

Anonymous said...

the real zuckerberg was/is an asshole. Check out the lengthy New Yorker review from last month.

Anonymous said...

I was a bit apprehensive about watching this movie, especially after watching Pirates of the Silicon Valley which was dry. But it turned out to be an excellent movie.

I find the scene involving the President and the brothers about the violation of intellectual property to be unintentionally funny. Not sure if it was meant to be funny.

-xy

Anonymous said...

David Fincher's next movie is the remake/adaptation of the girl with the dragon tattoo..thats right up his alley;sounds awesomeeeoooo awesome..