Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Go-Bama

I don't know what the hell is going on but I suspect something big is happening in the Amreekkan political scene. I have too many desi friends, who don't have a vote, writing about Obama and other boring topics like abortion, gay marriage etc in their facebook wall. From what I gather - most of them think this Obama fellow is awesome and the other democratic party white guy as bad. I also found out in this process that one friend of mine is gay. Apparently the other guy (whoever is obama computator) isn't too fond of gay type people. So this guy posts activism type messages all the time (okay - 'slacktivist' since this is only facebook we are talking about). I think its very cool to have a former apartment mate who is now openly gay. I plan to use it in several conversations in the future. Though he was your typical on-your-face "thengalai-iyengars-are-the-best" slogan shouter, I have decided to be liberal about that annoying little fact. While I hope he gets a good alliance (he could be very strict about kalai-bar), I do think he needs to tone down his facebook activity.

Coming back to the topic. I really wish this Obama character loses the next election. I cannot begin to describe the troll-based nirvana, I'll get by taunting all my facebook friends if this happens. I visualize myself targeting the types who are F-1 visa but have a "GoBama" in their profile picture. I have an atthai who is called Bama and she is very upset, I tell you. More, importantly the biggest incentive to Obama losing is that we'll be rid of those speeches. In my case, I'll be rid of people who will 'ooh' and 'aaah' and croon and crave over these so called 'historical' speeches.

On the topic of 'historical' speeches, imagine Sawagarlal Neguru doing the "At the stroke of midnight hour.." speech, every single midnight. How would that feel? I am assuming Obama's entourage must be tone deaf after listening to all these speeches day-in and day-out. Its only a historic speech if you give it once every 4 years. If you give once every amavasai and maasa pirappu - I'd rather you call it 'tharpanam'.

Previously on Obama: I and II

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indian Americans for Obama?? Really? Aren't Bobby Jindal(Louisiana) & Nikki Haley(S.Carolina) republicans? And the latter marked herself as white, on her voter registration card despite her 100% Punjabi Indian origin. Nevertheless, she looks caucasian. We Indians were classified as white by the judiciary, until the 1923 Supreme Court case after which we were termed under Asian, which has continued to the present.

Getting back to the topic - I haven't come across an Indian American who is pro-Obama, here in NY. Without question, Romney shares the Republican Indian Committee’s vision for America. Today, we Indians represent small business owners, corporate executives, tech CEOs, bankers, and venture capitalists as well as physicians, lawyers, scientists, engineers, and professors. We believe in the fiscal conservatism that Romney represents.

Adiya said...

:) you may like it http://obamaachievements.org/list

Anonymous said...

Anon, Jindal and Haley are Indian-Americans and Republicans but it looks like Indian-American voters by-and-large vote Democrat, and are by-and-large pro-Obama. Definitely the Republican party should be Indian-Americans' natural affiliation but looking at Facebook, Twitter and the general intellectual climate, it does not look to be the case. I have rarely come across or talked to a pro-Republican desi.

VGB said...

Why this kolaveri on our desi makkal? It's like a soap opera.. Good for time pass. :)

-Ganesh

I am a ComplexNumber said...

Very Very true...I like the "Tharpanam" comment the best....

Obama pesuvathu "Thanakke Arpanam" so oru vagayil tharpanam....

I have some respect for Clinton...Obama...seriously....
He talks like he doesnt have any damn principles...He seems to have got tutored by Karunanidhi....

The only reason I respect Jaya is that on occasions, she shows that she stands for something...

Karu and Obama are true to saying "If you dont stand for something, you will fall for everything"

Of course, it is they who stand for something, and others fall for everything...

Americavula irukkara namma makkal kooda oke....mylapore nanganallur la irukkara thaathaavellaam obama oru class thaan...appdi solvathu thaan thaanga mudiyala...

I hate the obama kind right from school...

Also Bill Maher (I read your Obama 1) ...thanks for mentioning about that guy...He has the nerve to talk about equality equal salary...Is he getting same remuneration as that of some guy from local cable channel...

Konjam manasaatchi use pannungadaa...

republicans...avangala pathi sollave vendaam....

we need a third alternative like Kapten...:)

I am a ComplexNumber said...

Hawkeye,
I watched this. I am sure you would like this too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmd4euxVdA8

Thanks

Anonymous said...

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS---

* JULY '12: Obama's FDI Remarks- Barack talked of concerns about the deteriorating investment climate in India and said that Delhi restricted foreign investment in too many sectors.

* SEPT '12: POTUS moved his Democratic presidential nomination speech from Charlotte to another venue, which has disappointed hundreds of Indian Americans, who had travelled to that city from far and wide.

* Above all, Obama has been the president for just 1.6% of America's history, but has amassed 33.3% of the total debt.

* On the other hand, Indian-American Governors, Haley and Jindal endorsed Mitt Romney, and expressed their thoughts on "Obama's lack of leadership".

* Mitt Romney's campaign, two weeks ago at the RNC wooed the community by inviting a record number of Indian-Americans to address the event.

Sadly, Desis seem to look up to Deepak Chopra & Kal Penn(both DEM supporters). What are they famous for, anyway? Of all the writers, who give me an apocalyptic headache, Chopra & Jay McInerney are the worst. They have so much in common, don't they? Apart from "Bright Lights Big City", do you guys know of any other novel authored by this "crap next to most other novelists"(McInerney)?

However, it's reassuring to know that most Indian-Americans in the NY-Metropolitan area have turned their backs on Obama.

Did you know? - According to The New York Times, more than half of President Obama's Twitter followers are fake. They don't even exist. Aint that a good thing, because if they did exist there wouldn't be any jobs for them.

SathyaRam said...

"I would call it Tharpanam" - chance illa

Anonymous said...

Therila ba. But a lot of what the Republicans spew come too close to fascism for anyone's comfort.

Ban on abortion, clampdown on immigration, tax cuts for people who earn more than $250k, homophobia, belief that global warming does not exist..and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Namma DMK thatha, Shiva Sena nanbargal kuda evalavu extreme right wing rhethoric adikka thayanguvanga.

Also, both Jindal and Haley describe themselves as Christian, white, American and Indian American - in that order. Beggars belief that any first generation saaftware immigrant can identify with either of them.

Karthik Narayanan said...

Heh!

You will not believe the kind of coffee chat on the dude that happens in Indian offices as well. Generally in his support. In fact I keep telling my mates, We do not know what he will do for amrikka, but he is definitely bad for Indian IT. Romney is better for our business and my variable.

As an aside, tell me, of all the Indian expats in amrikka, how many of you folks discuss politics of home, and how many actually vote?

mokka musketeer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.