Friday, November 09, 2012

Opposite of George - 2

Until I discover a easily repeatable and idiot-proof routine, I  need someone to keep reminding me to take my ID card, license, and my wallet.  If anything happens that changes my routine for a few days, it takes an insanely long time for me to get everything back into routine. And those days are the worst. There was a time where in irritation I have looked at my wife and said "He is asking for my name on the phone. What is it?". My mother was used to treating me like Sammy from memento and became paranoid to the point where she over-did the reminding part by asking me I had remembered to take my Hall ticket even after my exams were over. My wife sadly carried the baton in the ID card and wallet area.

Last year, I had comeback from a trip to Germany. I landed, came home, changed and had to go to work. I was in the maximum scatter brain mode. Unexpectedly, I got pulled over. I had no clue why. The cop slowly came near my window and asked "License and Registration  please". I was really confused. So I asked "Why did you pull me over sir"?. Turns out it was "Your registration has expired". Normally, I'd try and lie something and it would elicit a weak smile from the police officer who'd proceed to fine me regardless. Instead  I just burst into a monologue "I just came back from outside the country today morning. Under normal circumstances, I am absent minded. I have jet lag, So I totally didn't bring my license.I cant find my insurance in the dashboard. I have no idea when my registration expires. I am dependent on my wife to do that for me and she may have done it and not updated the sticker on the license plate". The officer smiled and said; "Well.. I checked and she hasn't renewed your registration. You can do that over the internet now. Remember to have your license with you next time. Have a nice day". I was thinking - this honesty thing is really awesome.

This trip to India. I was sitting lazily at home after heavy morning food and my father made a suggestion "Instead of sleeping 2 hours every afternoon, why don't you go and get the firecrackers list. So we will know what to purchase. At least this one thing we won't have to do in the last minute".  I sprung into action. Straight away put on my slippers, got on the scooter and started driving to Kaliswari fireworks shop in Doraisamy road . As soon as I went up the subway into Doraisamy road, a policeman gestured to me, asking me to pull the vehicle to the side of the road. There was an inspector there spot fining people. I stood there patiently as he continued to fine a bunch of teenagers. I had no idea why I was pulled over. I 'saar' and 'saar'ed him. I half expected him to look at me and say "take the tonti faaive rubees". But no response from him. I then asked the constable why he had pulled me over. "neenga Helmet podalainga". Ah... that thing. I never do that. So forgetting the rule was not a big thing. When my turn came to meet the inspector guy, I said (translation) "Forgot to wear helmet. My mistake, I should have done that. I didn't bring my license. I have no money." The inspector's reaction surprised me. He said; "Ada kaduvule. Ippadi aagi poche". He was very genuine in his concern. I stood there for another 10 minutes until he processed more people. And then he turned to me and asked "Rs 100 kooda fine katta mudiyadha". I responded with "1 Rs kooda illainga". He said in a sympathetic tone "Seri! ponga".


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post reminds me of the scene from the movie "Liar Liar", where the cop pulls over Jim Carrey and asks him to list all the offences that he has committed. Jim Carrey has no option but to list everything including the unpaid parking tickets, as he is unable to tell a lie. The only difference is - the cop in the movie does not let him go but tows his car.

pradeep kumar said...

You were lucky. Once when my licence had expired, cop confiscated my mobile phone and gave it back only after I went to hostel and returned with money. I saw wives bringing money from home for few men who were without money.

Alan Smithee said...

You sired the policeman?

Rex said...

Call me cynical, but he must've been disappointed rather than sympathetic at your being broke. Moreover, since the location you mentioned is usually quite congested, I'm sure he could afford to let you go and catch other people.

Ravi Kumar said...

shivaashubhra Classified: apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, Matrimonials, Health/Beauty, Web Hosting, Forums/Classifieds/Directories, and events Shivaa Shubhra Classified is a free classifieds online ads site where you can post free ads & can get targeted traffic and high response for your advertisement.